The Stage Carriages (Cancellation of Permits of Absentees) Regulation
[MARTIAL LAW REGULATION NO.56]
[October 27, 1969]
1. This Regulation shall come into force at once and shall take effect notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in any other law for the time being, and shall apply to the whole of Pakistan.
2. In this Regulation there is anything repugnant in the subject or context:-
(a) ‘Absentee’ means a person who holds a permit to apply a stage carriage of which he is not the actual owner.
(b) ‘Actual owner’ means a person or a body of persons having proprietary rights in a stage carriage acquired by way of purchase, gift in heritance, or under a hire-purchase agreement, or as a result of the settlement of a lawful claim.
(c) ‘Person’ includes an individual, a firm, an association of persons, a body of individuals, whether incorporated or not, a company and any other judicial person.
3. (1) Any permit to play a stage carriage issued in favour of an absentee shall cease to be valid and shall stand cancelled forthwith and subject to sub-paragraph (2), no stage carriage shall be plied on the authority of any such permit.
(2) Notwithstanding the cancellation of a permit under sub-paragraph (1) stage carriage in respect of which the permit was issued may for period of 20 days following the cancellation, on the same routes and terms and conditions as were applicable immediately before the cancellation.
4. Any person who is in possession of a permit which stands cancelled under Paragraph 3 shall, within 15 days of such cancellation surrender the permit to the authority by which it was issued.
5. Whoever plys a stage carriage in contravention of Paragraph 3 or retain a permit in contravention of Paragraph 4 shall be punishable with rigorous imprisonment for a term which may extend to three years or fine or both.
6. For the purpose of ascertaining the actual owner of stage carriage, the entry in the certificate of registration shall not be conclusive proof of ownership.
7. The Provincial Government may make rules to provide for:
(a) The procedure for determining actual owners of stage carriage;
(b) The procedure for issuance of permits to the actual owners of stage carriages; and
(c) Such other matters as may be necessary for carrying out of purpose this Regulation.